Sunday, March 14, 2010

What's The Wise Thing?

If you are joining me here today through my devotion, Here is the Path, welcome! If you haven't had a chance to read it, please do!

Life is full of choices. What classes should I take next year? Where should I go to college? Should I use my money to go on that missions trip with my youth group or get that car that I really need? As I mentioned in my devo, some answers the Bible makes very clear. But what about those that are not?

In Andy Stanley's book, The Principle of the Path, Andy gives some great advice. He says that when we hit up against those decisions in life that we can't find answers for clearly in the Bible, we should ask ourselves this very simple question, "What is the wise thing?". You see, every choice we make is a step and each step evenutually leads down a path to a destination. Is that destination where you want to end up?

Let's say you are trying to decide if you should play lacrosse this spring or try out for the Chamber choir at your school? You know that with the classes you are taking and the demands that each would put on you schedule that it wouldn't be wise to try to do both. So how do you know what to do? Ask yourself the question: What would be the wise decision? Is it wise for you to have a physical outlet to help you to keep your sanity or are you hoping one day to be able to use your music in your future and this group would be a great place to grow? They both sound great. What is the wise thing to do?

When we ask God for His clear direction plus ask this simple question, often a peace will rise up in our hearts that makes the right choice a bit more obvious. Just remember to ask Your Father; He always knows best!

No comments: