Friday, September 5, 2008

Give Them a Try

“For if they fall, one will lift up his companion, but woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up.” Ecclesiastes 4:10 (NKJV)

I read an interview with a seventeen year old girl that blew me away. She talked about how badly she wanted her parents to know what was going on in her life: who she was dating, how far they had gone, how he treated and the mean things he said to her. She didn’t tell them though. She was afraid; afraid of how they would react.

As a parent, this crushed my heart. I want my kids to be able to tell me the things in life that they are struggling hard with. I want them to know that they are not alone. I want to be able to pray for her, love her and hold her when she needs it, but the only way I can do that for her is if she is honest with me.

Honesty; that is a tough one. If we are not honest, though, how can someone support us when we need it? How can someone help us to avoid trouble?

The Lord has given us parents to be these exact people; people who can help us up when we fall. People who will love us even when we find it hard to love ourselves. People who believe in us.

Give your parents a try. Ask them to not freak out; to just listen to you. If you give them a chance, you may find your parent to be just the type of friend you need!

My Prayer for Today:

Dear Lord, Thank you for the whole plan you had of parents; what a great idea. Help me to be able to trust my parents. Show me how I can develop a better relationship with them and find that extra bit of help I need in life. In Jesus’ name. Amen.”

Think About It:

Do I trust my parents with my really personal stuff?

Why do I withhold information from my parents?

Do my parents have the wisdom I might need for exactly where I am at right now?
Live It:

Figure out a time when you can get one-on-one with one or both of your parents. Try a walk at the park or dinner out. Begin to share some things with your parents and see how they handle it. You can start small; just be sure to start!

Pray and ask the Lord to help you to build a trusting relationship with your parents where you trust them and they trust you.

If you don’t have a parent who is a believer, look for another adult who loves the Lord and start building a great relationship with them.

Power Verses:

Ecclesiastes 4:9, “Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor.” (NKJV)

Ecclesiastes 4:12 “Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him. And a threefold cord is not quickly broken.” (NKJV)

Psalm 51:6 “Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts, and in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom.” (NKJV)

No comments: