Friday, May 8, 2009

Tuning Our Lives

If you are joining me here today because of my devo on RadRevolution, hi! Sometimes, our life gets out of tune and often it is because of decisions we make.

Have you had an experience in life where everything seemed to be going right, yet in the end it really wasn't? I have had too many to count: bad dating decisions, poor money decisions, spur-of-the-moment not-time-to pray decisions. They seemed right at the time...

This past weekend, I went shopping with my husband. My office is often a complete mess and it was time to get serious about organizing it. Now, this is not my best skill in life, to be sure, but I figured if I had the right furniture, cabinets, and gadgets I could definately make it better. So it was off to the stores...

Store #1: Had a desk that would definately work. It was more than I wanted to spend, but I had done a little (emphasis on little) investigating and knew that it was pretty in line with what I had already seen. I was ready to buy and be done. My husband on the other hand said, "Lynn, I think you can do better." Buzz kill. Not what I wanted to hear. But I did listen.

Store #2: Had everything I wanted! The desk, the cabinets, the chair...even the cool waste can! AND I could get all the pieces I wanted for about the same amount of money as the ONE desk at the other store. I was so excited (I know you would be for me if you saw it...it is rather cool, I must say. Maybe I'll post a pic when I finally get it all assembled!).

Lesson learned: waiting and taking wise advice from others can be a VERY good thing for me. Sometimes what sounds or seems best is not, in fact. The only way to find that out is by slowly down long enough to hear.

What decisions are you contemplating? Is there a certain someone you would like to date, but don't know enough about his character? Is there a school you are thinking about attending, but haven't really sensed the green light from the Lord? What plans are you making for the summer...and have you asked the Lord what His plans are for you this summer? Slow down, pray, seek and then make those decisions wise decisions! !

Jeremiah 29:12 - 13 "Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all of your heart. I will be found by you," declares the Lord, "and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the Lord, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile." NIV

No comments: